Welcome to the Self and Co-Regulation Display Posters, Mat, and Card Pack
This resource has been created to give you, the facilitator, a toolkit of visuals to support the emotional needs of the child(ren) in your care.
If you are looking to put this up as a display, I recommend doing a few lessons to introduce the concepts of emotions, moving up and down a scale, and how these tools can help regulate the system back down to green.
This would include incorporating ‘wellness breaks’ throughout the day – that link to the display board. For example – having a ‘wellness break’ after a playtime of modelling effective breathing techniques. This not only supports the well-being of children in the classroom at that time – but also models how to do the strategies effectively. This modelling can then be applied individually, as needed.
If you are looking to create a pack for an individual or small group – print these off and go through each in turn. Help the child to understand what each state is and how to use the tools to regulate down the scale.
You will see down the side of the visuals, is a scale from 1 to 5, with symbols next to them. The idea is that they equal the adult intervention.
It is focused on the nervous system and how to regulate it, rather than behaviour:
- 1 = Go: The child’s nervous system can independently regulate using these tools without adult support.
- 2 = Pause: The child’s nervous system is getting activated and needs tools to regulate down. This may need an adult to direct/remind the child to start.
- 3 = Seek/Find: The child’s nervous system is now overwhelmed due to high levels of adrenaline and cortisol. If a child is at this level, they will need an adult to co-regulate using the tools together.
- 4 = Stop: At this level, the child’s nervous system is flooded with adrenaline and cortisol, they need an adult to keep them and others safe.
- 5 = Seek/Find: Potentially, the child’s nervous system is blocking the overwhelm, to keep them from feeling flooded. The child needs an adult to help them feel safe and reconnect.
Remember, we go up and down this scale – all the time, every day. The goal – is to recognise when it’s happening and regulate the system so that it doesn’t go up or stay in prolonged states of survival = 3, 4, 5.