Specific Educational Need

What if the Child has an IEP and still struggles to attend due to high anxiety?

If the child has an individual education plan (although not essential) and still struggles with EBSA, the parent/carer or school should then apply for an Education Health Care Plan.

The assessments within this process will ascertain why the child has been struggling and look at effective ways to support them in school.

An Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) is a legal document that outlines the special educational needs of a child and the support that will be provided to meet those needs.

To apply for an EHCP, parents can follow these steps:

  1. Contact the Local Education Authority (LEA): Parents should contact the LEA’s special educational needs (SEN) department and request an assessment for an EHCP. They should provide the LEA with relevant information about their child’s needs and any medical or psychological assessments that have been conducted.
  2. Complete the application form: The LEA will provide the parents with an application form, which they should complete and return to the LEA along with any supporting documentation such as medical reports or assessment results.  This would be found in the IEP – along with the Educational Psychologist report.
  3. Attend assessments: Parents will then be contacted to arrange for assessments – this provides additional information to form the EHCP provision.
  4. Review the EHCP: Once the EHCP has been developed, parents should review it and ensure that it reflects their child’s needs and the support that will be provided to meet those needs.
  5. Appeal: If the parents are not satisfied with the EHCP, they have the right to appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal (SENDIST)

It’s important to note that the process of applying for an EHCP can take several months and it’s important for parents to be patient and persistent in their efforts to ensure that their child receives the support they need.